These last four weeks I have done more work on Mr. Manuscript than the entire summer combined. It feels so good to move forward once again, to make progress. I am working in the murky middle of the book trying to connect the beginning to the end. Most of the work is creating new chapters and scenes to replace the ones that I had to remove. As I go in deeper I continue to find paragraphs and scenes that must be cut as well. I know that the book will be better for it, but it stinks to see how many weeks of work have ended up producing unusable text.
Before yWriter I tried to organize all these different files of the manuscript with a complicated folder system. Rough drafts, ideas, first drafts, chapter outlines, cuttings, pictures, etc. were all filed in different folders. Different drafts of the same scene ended up scattered across the hard drive.
It was a mess, it wasted my time, and it drove me nuts. With yWriter I keep a chapter at the end of the book to hold all the cuttings. yWriter allows me to label each scene with as much or as little information as I like. Very useful when trying to find something later. Whole book drafts are now saved at the end of a revision, instead of at the completion of each scene. It has streamlined the creative process and now I feel I have a clearer game plan for each step of the way.
I still regret choosing a genre that tends to be long-winded. If only my first project was something shorter, a quick murder mystery perhaps; then I might be getting closer to being done! The manuscript now sits at 50,000 words and I’m guessing it might reach over 120,000 when I declare it finished. At least 25,000 words have ended up on the cutting room floor and I know that there will be plenty more before I finish.
Progress, not perfection.
Slow and steady wins the race.
Yadda, yadda, yadda.