I am happy to announce that last night I finished phase one of editing my book, Stonebearer’s Betrayal. This includes checking the following:
- Concept integrity
- Continuity/timeline problems
- Point of view voice issues
- Character individuality
- Need for filler sections
- Obviously painful to read writing
The book sits at a scant 77,271 words which when printed at 12 pt font double spaced breaks down to around 208 pages. This phase took about 27 hours over the course of January and February. If I’ve done my math right, that breaks down to about 8 minutes a page.
Part of me moans that if I had been a full-time writer, I would have been able to finish this in a week or two. But, I’m not a full-time writer, and I can’t change that for a long while.
The next phase of editing will be much more intense. I expect the manuscript to grow at least 50% or more and with luck get that much better, of course my reader will have to be the judge of that. I have to correct all the issues I noted during the first phase, including changing all of my horrible telling sections into action-packed thrilling showing sections and also injecting some life into my dialogue. Most of my notes seem to stem from not taking the time to do it the first round of draft writing.
Having a printed manuscript has been wonderful, flaws and all, because with each page I review and edit I know exactly where I am in the process and what I need to do next. I didn’t start this project in a linear way and lost months of time trying to figure out how to put everything back together. From now on I will!