A pun, or paronomasia, is “a form of word play that deliberately exploits an ambiguity between similar-sounding words for humorous or rhetorical effect … By definition, puns must be deliberate; an involuntary substitution of similar words is called a malapropism.” [from the Wikipedia entry “Pun”]
Now that the Latin lesson is done, let’s get punny! I present to you my hand-picked, best of the web collection of puns:
- I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger. Then it hit me.
- A scientist doing a large experiment with liquid chemicals was trying to solve a problem when he fell in and became part of the solution.
- A small boy swallowed some coins and was taken to a hospital. When his grandmother telephoned to ask how he was a nurse said ‘No change yet’.
- The butcher backed up into the meat grinder and got a little behind in his work.
- Police were called to a daycare where a three-year-old was resisting a rest.
- A hole has been found in the nudist camp wall. The police are looking into it.
- I used to have a fear of hurdles, but I got over it.
- What did the grape say when it got stepped on? Nothing – but it let out a little whine.
- To write with a broken pencil is pointless.
- When they bought a water bed, the couple started to drift apart.
- A criminal’s best asset is his lie ability.
- If you don’t pay your exorcist you get repossessed.
- Santa’s helpers are subordinate clauses.
- Old lawyers never die they just lose their appeal.
- Gravity is studied a lot because it’s a very attractive field.
Feel free to add your favorites in the comment section!