I made my scrawny quota in record time this morning before the kiddos woke up. 1,000 words in 45 minutes. While on vacation last week I started thinking that I needed a different start and came up with an alternate chapter one. The original chapter starred a secondary character who is important to move the story along but not the focus of the story. Not a great decision seeing as the opening chapters need to establish the identities of the main characters. My alternate now stars one of the main characters and is spending time getting to know her, out of all the main characters I know her the least. Something I need to fix seeing as the story revolves around her. If I can’t get a grip on her character I might need to turn her into the reason that forces my favorite characters to work together but not use her actively in a scene. We’ll see.
Normally when I write I stop often and think about wording and how to best describe something, which takes forever. I need to get the story down in writing and then go back and do extensive rewriting. This morning I kept writing without stopping and put down the first thing that came into my mind. I’m sure there are a lot of things that I can’t use but hopefully something will be salvageable. Once I have the book in writing and know that huge scenes can’t change or disappear the editing process will be much more efficient. And for me efficient is good, very good.